The Medical Diagnosis – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome


The Medical Definition- hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age. Women may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods or excess male hormone (androgen) levels. The ovaries may develop numerous small collections of fluid (follicles) and fail to regularly release eggs. 

The Medical Symptoms- To determine if you have PCOS, your doctor will check that you have at least 2 of these 3 symptoms:

 

1.     Irregular periods or no periods, caused from lack of ovulation.

2.     Higher than normal levels of male hormones that may result in excess hair on the face and body, acne,  or thinning scalp hair.

3.     Multiple small cysts on the ovaries (Just having ovarian cysts is not enough for a diagnosis. Lots of women without PCOS have cysts on their ovaries and lots of women with PCOS do not have cysts.)


With many medical conditions, living within the definition and experiencing the symptoms, is not a one size fits all scenario.  We wanted to share this reality from actual PCOS patients, so that perhaps someone else can benefit and feel less alone. If you are experiencing any of these same feelings, and think you may need some help, please make an appointment with your OBGYN or local Reproductive Endocrinologist. 


  • My skin is still like a teenager’s skin and never really improves for long.
  • I have also developed trouble losing any weight, a lot of pain roughly where my ovaries are and when I am on my period, the pain is usually much worse.
  • I feel like a hairy, ugly, moody defect. I do not feel sexy or beautiful — I just want to be like other girls.
  • It felt like they thought I was using my PCOS as an excuse for not being active because I was visibly overweight.
  • Occasionally people would tell me that I had something on my chin without realizing that it was hair growth.
  • I was diagnosed at 12 years old and have been on and off all kinds of birth control pills since. 
  • I wasn’t diagnosed until my 30’s and it was then that we figured out why I kept having miscarriages.
  • I had no idea that my anxiety and depression was linked to my PCOS! Once I learned this, and took the time to understand my hormones, I started making some lifestyle changes and saw improvements in my overall health and mental state quickly. 
  • I thought being diagnosed meant I could never get pregnant, now I know it just meant I need a bit more help and more patience.
  • As a teenager I went months without getting a period, and my mother told me it was okay because she used to be the same way. Neither one of us knew that this was a symptom of something being wrong. 
  • I dread being in bathing suits and tops that are cut low due to all of the acne on my chest and back. 


Comments